Programmer needed

Bruce Prior

I am proposing that DXpeditions begin exchanging 2-character Maidenhead Fields instead of signal reports, which are usually given in stereotyped form and don't enhance communication. See https://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/maps/gridworld.php. There is a relevant Wikipedia article about the Maidenhead System: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_Locator_System. For example, our Maidenhead Field is CN, which is bounded by N 40°, W 120°, N 50°, and W 140°. That includes western British Columbia north to N 50°, western Washington, western Oregon and northern California as far east as the Nevada border, which coincides with the W 120° meridian. CN also extends into the Pacific Ocean as far west as W 140°. Planet Earth includes 324 Maidenhead Fields. For operators with beam antennas, it would be most helpful to be able to use pairs of Maidenhead Fields to orient their beams appropriately.  Is there anyone who could devise a computer program to determine the correct beam-heading, presumably from the midpoint of one Field to the midpoint of any other Field?
The Maidenhead Locator System (a.k.a. QTH Locator and IARU Locator) is a geocode system used by amateur radio operators to succinctly describe their geographic coordinates, which replaced the deprecated QRA locator, which was limited to European contacts. Its purpose is to be concise, accurate, and robust in the face of interference and other adverse transmission conditions.
en.wikipedia.org

Once Maidenhead Fields become common for DXing and contesting, such a program could become quite popular. Please let me know if you are interested.
73,
Bruce Prior N7RR
n7rr@...

Bob-WA7ZWG

Bruce:

Check out ( WinGrid )          wingrid v4.1  W4SM

    Bob    WA7ZWG