MBARC and WECG Joint Field Day

Steve Stroh N8GNJ

CQ All MBARC Members

This was discussed at the MBARC Board Meeting last night and I
volunteered to put out this bulletin.

We need some volunteers within MBARC to work with some members of WECG
to plan out the details of the 2022 MBARC and WECG Field Day.

Jim Blattner KC7JB has volunteered his QTH for Field Day (same as 2021).

We need volunteers for these functions (and more that we didn't think of)
* Organize equipment
* Organize meals
* Set up operating schedules
* Set up shelter (tents, etc.)
* Set up volunteers for setup and teardown

MBARC owns an IC-735 HF radio, a 2 meter FM radio, and a 440 FM radio.

I (Steve Stroh N8GNJ) volunteer to do outreach for this Field Day,
reaching out to Whatcom County Media and groups that might be
interested (such as TAG NW).

I also committed the MBARC Digital Group to do a "field exercise" to
work through the use of AREDN units to link the various laptop
computers that will be used for coordinated logging at each station.

If you're interested in helping with Field Day, please "self organize"
using this list to advertise your interest in helping, and I'm sure
there's enough cross-fertilization between MBARC members and WECG
members that the two groups can also self-organize.

Thanks,

Steve Stroh N8GNJ for the MBARC Board.

--
Steve Stroh N8GNJ (he / him / his)
Editor

Bruce Prior

Hi Steve --
Thank you for taking this initiative. I'll be happy to help with some leg work for this Field Day effort. I hope that Blaine ACS will join your project rather than trying to do a separate Field Day.

I'm most pleased that the ARRL has initiated a June non-RTTY digital contest without a signal report exchange. The exchange will be call signs and 4-character Maidenhead grids. See: http://www.arrl.org/arrl-digital-contest
Contest Objective: Amateurs worldwide contact and exchange QSO information with other amateurs using any digital mode (excluding RTTY) that supports the 4-digit Grid Square exchange — attended operation only -- on the 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 and 6 meter bands (Technicians are limited per FCC Rules to the 10 and 6 meter bands).Any station may work any other station.
www.arrl.org
I'll probably use PSK31, since my Elecraft rigs makes that mode easy. I'll stick to the contest HF bands.

73,
Bruce Prior N7RR

[...]

Jim Thurston

Steve, I would like to help out in someway for Field Day.  Would you please send me the list of things that was gone over in last years FD so I can see where I might fit in.

Thanks.

73,

Jim Thurston

On 2022-04-27 10:53 pm, Steve Stroh N8GNJ wrote:

CQ All MBARC Members

[...]

Jim:

Unfortunately, I don't have any of that info. I was not active in
previous Field Days in Whatcom County.

Hopefully someone else on this list will have the info you're requesting.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

On 2022-04-27 10:53 pm, Steve Stroh N8GNJ wrote:

CQ All MBARC Members

[...]

Steve, I think Ed has the list or if he doesn't he will know who has one.  It was very specific  and complete.

Jim

On 2022-04-27 10:53 pm, Steve Stroh N8GNJ wrote:

CQ All MBARC Members

[...]

Ash Eastham

I'll also interested in helping however I can. Last year, I helped organize the equipment being sold "swap table".

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022, 7:54 PM Steve Stroh N8GNJ <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
[...]

Art - KC7SDA

So, due to some major changes in my life, I'm going to be on the graveyard shift at work, which means I can hop on the radio any time from 10 pm till 630 am!

While I know most people will be sleeping I've never worked overnight for any contest and would love the opportunity to give it a go!

Let me know if you guys want someone to work any time at night and I'll be there!

Art

[...]

Ed Bishop AE7QD

    Art,
   Sorry it took a while to answer.  But, this year we plan to make it more social than competitive.  So, you'll be able to jump in on the radio anytime, or not at all.  We'll have a white board for sign ups, who want a definite time.  But, that'll be pending.
      Ed

Art - KC7SDA

I get that, I'm not in it really for the competitive factor I just miss being on the radio. Also since I'll be working graveyard shift by then my morning will start at 8pm, and like I've said I've never worked late into the night before :)