Re: #training #training

Jonathan Pollard

I have a simplex IRLP node in the South Hill neighborhood (stn7547). It’s connected to a 2-meter Alinco radio on low power with only local coverage, but he is welcome to use it from Boulevard Park. 

Jon Pollard
KL0TN

On Jan 2, 2022, at 5:09 PM, Michael Powell via groups.io <mpowell_utmba@...> wrote:

Thanks Chris his call sign is KK7CUB.

On Sunday, January 2, 2022, 04:49:25 PM PST, Chris Doutre <c@...> wrote:

Michael,

Also, it might be helpful if he were to go outside the house and get into the clear a bit. Handheld radio signals are notoriously poor at penetrating walls, sometimes even windows can block the signal. Best of luck. 73.

Chris Doutre KC9AD

PS: What is his call sign?

From: main@mbarc.groups.io <main@mbarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim McCabe
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2022 17:09
To: main@mbarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [mbarc] #training

Michael:

WECG has a net at 7PM Sundays on the Church Rd repeater(442.825+, T 156.7) in Ferndale. Should be reachable. He is welcome to check in as a guest.

Bellingham ACS has a practice emergency net on Tuesdays at 0900 on the Sehome Hill repeater (442.300+. Encode/decode 88.5).

Might give these a try.

Jim

AE7UQ

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 3:53 PM Michael Powell via groups.io <mpowell_utmba=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello-

We live in the heart of Bellingham and my son is struggling to connect with anyone on VHF, what the best frequency for a local repeater so he can make some test calls and start communicating with locals?  Everyone we try doesn’t see to work with his handheld BTech UV-5X3 and 16” whip.  He doesn’t have his general license yet so he is somewhat limited.

Thanks!

On Saturday, January 1, 2022, 11:44 AM, Gayland Gump KG7GCF <kg7gcf@...> wrote:

Denise,

You might start by checking the MBARC (Mount Baker Amateur Radio Club) web site or WECG.org https://www.wecg.org/ for information about nets in the area.  This will give you and idea of when and where you can find hams on the air.  Once you have that information, I'd suggest checking in as a visitor to the net and then letting it be known that you would like to talk on the air with someone to get some practice.   Say that you'll be available to talk after the net concludes.  Hopefully, you'll find willing partners.

We had a visiting HAM that jumped on to the Church Road repeater and asked to talk to anyone out there recently.  I heard him and we proceeded to have a fairly good rag chew for 15 to 20 minutes.  So, even if no one is talking, people may be listening and just waiting for someone to reach out for a conversation.

You could also post a message here giving  a frequency and Dates and times when you'll be on the air, looking for someone to talk to.

Hope this feedback helps.

Looking to hear you on the air.

Gayland

KG7GCF

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 11:21 AM Denise R <dseibertrosenstein@...> wrote:

I got my technician's license a while ago, but have not yet had my first transmission. I am curious what frequency I could tune my radio to in order to have a brief conversation? I have been unable to find any traffic on anything but the NOAA weather frequency.

Denise

KJ7AZO

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 10:40 PM Michael Powell via groups.io <mpowell_utmba=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello -

My son is 14 and just passed the Technician test.

He used the following book -

Technician Class 2018-2022: Pass Your Amateur Radio Technician Class Test - The Easy Way (EasyWayHamBooks)

He took the test in Anacortes - the Ham Club down there offers in person tests every 2 months (the next one is in Feb).

He’s now studying for the general license.

(He passed technician and got 50% on general without studying - so I’m assuming you could study for both and take at same time. If you pass technician you can sit for general.)

He just received his call sign from the FCC and is excited to start using his new radio.

On Friday, December 31, 2021, 8:09 PM, Steve Stroh N8GNJ <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Don’t care about extra spectrum, new callsign or bragging rights enabled by an Extra license. It’s purely a personal goal. 

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 19:17 Bruce Prior <n7rr@...> wrote:

What does Amateur Extra Class buy you? Additional spectrum on four HF bands, a prestigious call sign and bragging rights. The only people I'd recommend going for Extra are high school students who have their sights on admission and scholarships for high-profile colleges. Most HF activity takes place on General Class frequencies. Get on the air and have fun!

Bruce Prior N7RR

From: main@mbarc.groups.io <main@mbarc.groups.io> on behalf of James Garnett <james.g.garnett@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 1, 2022 12:03 AM

To: main@mbarc.groups.io <main@mbarc.groups.io>

The Extra class exam questions are really not that much harder, either.  There are just more of them (50, rather than 35).  Given the sometimes difficult scheduling of setting up remote exams, I'd recommend trying the Extra exam if one is attempting the General, at the same time.  I honestly think that about 30 minutes of studying each night for a week, maybe two, is enough to pass the Extra.

Best of luck to all who are trying to get their next ticket!

James Garnett, W7STZ

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 3:24 PM Bruce Prior <n7rr@...> wrote:

Hi Tom --

I have vetted both Technician and General on HamTestOnline. There is very little difference in difficulty between the two question pools. It's too bad that the Novice license no longer exists. That said, almost anybody in middle school can master both exam pools. You're also most welcome to phone me.

Bruce Prior N7RR

360-332-6046

From: main@mbarc.groups.io <main@mbarc.groups.io> on behalf of Thomas Kurcz via groups.io <TKurcz=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2021 9:49 PM

Hi Kristen,

I am in the same situation also. I am currently studying via online at Ham Radio Prep – Ham Radio Online License Class and also purchased the ARRL Ham Radio LIc Manual.  I also purchased a handheld just to get familar with so of the things - Baofeng BF-F8HP - reasonable  priced at Amazon. Hope to complete and do an exam via online by end of January.

Hi Bruce - interesting on the recommendation on doing both at the same time - Tech and General  So basically same everything in concepts maybe a little more indepth on the General?

Thanks for the input... Hope to see you on the dail --- Happy New Year and 73

-tom

On Friday, December 31, 2021, 01:22:41 PM PST, Bruce Prior <n7rr@...> wrote:

Hi Kristen --

We hope to welcome you on the air soon. Many people who only get as far as the Technician license lose interest and drift away. You're much better off to study for both the Technician and General Class exams, which you can take in tandem in the same session. With a General Class license, you can operate on every ham radio band. The exams are almost equal in difficulty -- both moderate. If you buy a non-progammable scientific calculator at Dollar Tree for $1.00 plus tax, you can use it both for practice and during the exam.

By far the easiest way to study is with HamTestOnline:  https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/login.htm            

Login: Email address: Password: Create account. Forgot password. Use without account . Contact support for help. July 1, 2021 — No question pools will be updated in 2021.A new Technician question pool will be released in 2022.

There's no need to buy a textbook or take an in-person course. You can get started today. The best method is to study one subject at a time for both exams. HamTestOnline will integrate both question pools for you, and the program will track your progress and quiz you on the material which needs the most practice.

Once you get about 90 percent finished for each exam, you're ready to take the real exams. Passing level is 74 percent of the multi-choice questions for both exams. That's 26 of the 35 questions.

If you have more queries, phone me at 360-332-6046. Margaret K7MWP is a General Class ham. She might answer the phone.

Keep warm and healthy!

Bruce Prior N7RR

From: main@mbarc.groups.io <main@mbarc.groups.io> on behalf of Beverly Stuart <bjstuart612@...>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2021 8:49 PM

Dear Kristen,

I took(and passed) my test during the pandemic.  I hope the following might be helpful:

—I am glad that Jim was able to direct you to an Amateur Radio group that will administer the test.  My group was located in Portland.  One needed zoom, of course.

—There is a LOT of material to memorize.  For me, I needed the AARL License manual.  Then I studied to the test w/ high lighting, used flash cards and yes, indeed took the practice tests until I knew I was comfortable taking the actual test.

You are joining and helpful and knowledgeable Amateur Radio Group.  Happy New Year!

Beverly

KJ7PMZ

On Dec 31, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Steve Stroh N8GNJ <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Kristen:

Welcome!

No classes or testing in Whatcom County at the moment. Both were planned by a new Amateur Radio group that was forming, but unfortunately those plans didn’t work out.

The Technician test is reasonably easy to study for on your own. 

See the end of my newsletter at 

https://zeroretries.substack.com/p/zero-retries-0025 - Join the Fun on Amateur Radio for links to resources. In studying for my Extra, I’m doing “flash cards” and practice exams on HamExam.org. When I get stuck on something I don’t understand I use KB6NU’s No Nonsense Guide (PDF - search for the question number).

This is THE resource for finding Amateur Radio exams - 

https://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/search. It includes a link to online exams.

Let us know if you have other questions. 

Steve N8GNJ

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 22:03 Kristen Hansen <stillbliss@...> wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm posting this message properly. 
Does the Mount Baker group ever have classes or offer testing?
Thank you!

--

Steve Stroh N8GNJ

Editor

Zero Retries Newsletter - https://zeroretries.substack.com

Twitter - @zeroretries / https://twitter.com/zeroretries

--

Steve Stroh N8GNJ

Editor

Zero Retries Newsletter - https://zeroretries.substack.com

Twitter - @zeroretries / https://twitter.com/zeroretries

Join main@mbarc.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.